July 27, 2014

Meal Planning 101

I believe I have mentioned this before, but the reason I started a blog is because a friend made the suggestion that I should. I'm easily convinced, obviously. His blog is an instructional blog on how to couponing. It's pretty great, and you should check it out here. He gave the suggestion of starting an instructional blog on meal planning and ultimately, that is what I'm attempting to do.

Meal planning is one of the ways, if not the BEST way, to stick to a budget with food. For my husband and I, we spend about $50/week on groceries. **Note this is an average. I go both above and below depending on what's going on that week** If you plan, you can still save some money by stretching your purchases and not going hungry! You don't have to starve yourself to stay within budget. After a year of marriage, I think my husband finally believes that! It took a long time though...

There are many benefits to meal planning:
  • You can save money. I'm a broken record at this point
  • You eat healthier. If you plan in the right mind (i.e. not hungry), a well-balanced meal of garlic roasted chicken breast with asparagus and red potatoes might sound a lot better than a fast food burger.
  • Your family gets involved. I love asking the hubs what he wants for dinner for the upcoming week, then by the time we have it, he's super excited for the meal. 
  • There are fewer surprises. Fewer because things will always come up. It happens. But if you've planned your week of meals ahead of time, you'll know exactly what is is coming. This can actually...
  • Save time! Thaw that meat the night before or throw the meal in the crock pot before you go to bed, put it in the fridge and start it as you're running out the door in the morning. Knowing what we're having for dinner has saved my tush a few times. 
  • You waste less food. I can't stand throwing food away. If I plan a week and actually stick to the plan 100%, my fridge is pretty empty by Saturday. I love it. 

I can go on and on about meal planning benefits, but truth of the matter is it might not be for everyone. Over the next few weeks, I'll go over my method of planning and give step by step tutorials on all things involved. I can't guarantee that my methods will work for you and your family, nor can I guarantee that it will save you X-amount of money. But hey, it's worth a shot ;)


0 comments:

Post a Comment