April 2, 2015

My New "Clean" life

I debated posting this because I doubt anyone really cares, so this is more of a "get if off of my chest" post! You have been warned :)

I mentioned in my last post how I have been introduced to all of the Rules of Pregnancy. The rules are great in number and I feel like they change every day causing all sorts of confusion and frustration. I do like to research claims and the like, so I have spent lots of time on the internet looking up supportive data for these so called rules.

What I have found? A whole bunch of contradicting statements, articles, studies, etc. Very seldom is there anything definitive. It is beyond annoying.

One that amused me from the start was: Don't use lipstick. .....What? They say this because of potential effects of everyday chemicals as they may cause harm to your baby in utero and even once they are born. And they aren't saying just lipstick, there are apparently lots of harmful everyday chemicals. By everyday chemicals, I mean the ones found in food, body products, cleaning products, etc.

Now, I've never been one to go along with hype. In fact, I hate hype. I hate hype because it usually stems from one person's or group's idea with little or no basis behind it, then attracts a bandwagon of followers who will believe and do anything they are told.

Case in point:


But the lack of information on the effects chemicals have on your body is astonishing. We are living out each day using products and putting chemicals on our bodies that could be harmful to us, and - here is the kicker - we really have no clue what chemicals are bad, or why! 

So, I decided to approach this the same way I do what I eat: Do the best you can with what you know to be true. 

There are a few chemicals that we do know are bad and that have had research done supporting their damaging effects: parabens, triclosan, and oxybenzone. All three are known to be endocrine disrupters, and parabens have been linked to cancer. Another one is PEGs. Any ingredient that has 'PEG' in front of it can be converted into a carcinogen during manufacturing, and this ingredient is the one I see the most.

You'd think it would be easy to just avoid things with chemicals like the three mentioned above, but no. Its incredibly difficult. AND there are multiple companies out there that "greenwash," or say they have pure/organic/natural ingredients but might not. I won't mention them unless asked because I have plenty of friends who swear by their products, and that is fine!! It's all a matter of belief.

I set out to find natural alternatives of products that I use on a daily basis and it turned out to be a nightmare. I couldn't find anything that only had ingredients I recognized or trusted. I spent a lot of time on the EWG website comparing products and trying to find what worked. And let me tell you, all of these products get expensive!

I have a friend who sells an organic line through direct sales, and I had bought some bathroom and window cleaner from her a while back. I took to researching (shocker!) and found that the company she sells for has very clean products. AND they are the kind of products I use; like makeup,  body care, and cleaning supplies.

There are a few organic direct sales lines out there, and I did look into all of them. I decided to join my friend and sign up for Ava Anderson for a few reasons:

  1. I actually trust the products. Other organic lines often had questionable ingredients, or were too expensive.
  2. Using them makes me feel better, not only about my own health, but the health of my family and dog (she likes to lick windows...)
  3. I need the discount to be able to afford natural products!!

Ava Anderson is my attempt at "cleaning up" my life in a way I can afford. At this time, I don't really plan on doing the direct sales thing of pushing product. However, I am all about sharing what I have learned and the products if someone asks. I absolutely love the products and will most likely talk about them a lot in the posts to come.

If you'd like to look at the Ava lines, you can visit my page HERE!

I'm excited about this new direction with my personal care. It is helping my self esteem and trust in my motherly abilities, knowing that everything I do right now affects the little guy inside of my belly.

If you would like to join me on this journey, please let me know :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment